99.3 CountyFM is presenting a series of 15 events at locations across the County to help educate and fight fraud that targets those who are vulnerable in our community.
We are working in partnership with the Prince Edward County Detachment of the OPP, The Prince Edward County Community Care for Seniors Association, and the Municipality of the County of Prince Edward. The program is made possible by the Government of Canada’s New Horizons for Seniors program and the volunteers at 99.3 CountyFM.
The events are taking place in community spaces and other accessible meeting areas, including town halls, across the County. Free refreshments and snacks will be provided. Free accessible bus rides are available upon request for all events open to the public (age 55+) – simply call County Transit 1-855-283-9640 to book your space.
These events will provide a chance for attendees to witness scenarios that are happening around us and to learn how you can reduce the chance that you are a victim of fraud. All events are open to the public unless noted.
- West Lake Terrace, West Lake Nov. 7, 2023, 2:30 pm
- Wellington On The Lake, Wellington Nov. 13, 2023, 1:00 pm
- Athol Town Hall, Athol Nov. 15, 2023, 2:00 pm
- United Church Consecon, Consecon Nov. 22, 2023, 2:00 pm
- Wellings Of Picton, Picton Dec. 1, 2023, 1:00 pm
- Hallowell House, Picton – Residents & family only – Dec, 12, 2023, 2:00 pm
- MLP Residence, Picton – Residents & family only – Jan. 19, 2024, 2:00 pm
- Picton Town Hall, Picton – Jan. 26, 2024 2:00 pm
- Sophiasburgh Town Hall, Sophiasburgh Jan. 30, 2024, 2:00 pm
- H.J. Memorial Home, Picton – Residents & family only – Feb 6, 2024, 2:00 pm
- Elks Lodge, Picton Feb. 16, 2024, 2:30
- Milford Condos, 8 Talbot Street, Picton – Mar. 15, 2024, 2:00 pm
- More events to be to posted. Events listed above are subject to change.
99.3 County FM, is also creating a 6-part documentary series entitled: “Outsmarting the Scammers – Helping Seniors Fight Fraud” – Here’s your chance to tell your story!
Prince Edward County is the second oldest Census Division in Ontario. Fraud is not only proliferating, but scammers and their schemes are becoming more sophisticated, and the scammers exploit seniors’ trust. They are experts at their job, and they know how to get people to fall for their fraud.
Our goal for the series is to educate seniors on what to watch for, how to proactively take steps to avoid being scammed, and what to do if you are scammed.
We are looking for seniors (and their families) who have experienced fraud and are willing to share their story. Many people don’t report fraud because they are embarrassed. We will do all that we can to ensure that you feel comfortable when you share what happened. You will be interviewed and recorded by 99.3 CountyFM volunteers. At your request, your identity will be hidden.
Your story may be part of the 6-part documentary series that will air February-March 2024. An honorarium will be provided for your participation.
Please contact Renay Weissman-Stanners via the radio station to arrange an interview or answer your questions.